Amy ArcWelder & Dialog Engine

Amy ArcWelder was my first real attempt at doing some kind of scripted animation in Flash. And rather than keep it simple, I decided to expand on the type writer effect from the original Flash Hacks book and built my own dialog engine. I was also into the character Erin from those Esurance commercials and wanted to try something similar – the hot female lead in a predominantly blue-collar male demographic. From this, Amy ArcWelder was born, built in Illustrator from Clip Art and sketches.

When I first started taking over the marketing side of OTC’s robot business, I was always puzzled how we could penetrate a shallow yet predominated market and get people to listen. Our welding equipment was like the Rolls Royce of its kind in industrial factories – but was priced as such, hence most people immediately found us out of their league. We launched a small campaign around the lines “I’ve seen it and still can’t believe it!”, and promoted it for our trade show booth that year.

And for the record, I admit that the dialog between Amy and her solution specialist is pretty craptacular. Que lastima…

Dialog aside, I’m not sure why Amy never made it past that show. I was a bit frustrated as I had hoped to see her in more, with better animations, and a chance to continue using the dialog engine I built. Would have been so awesome if we could have farmed out some old school timeline animations with Amy saving the day now that she knew about OTC. Woulda, coulda, shoulda. Just had no time, I guess.

[kml_flashembed publishmethod=”static” fversion=”8.0.0″ movie=”http://www.panyamedia.com/wp-content/uploads/swfs/amy_arcwelder.swf” width=”550″ height=”400″ targetclass=”flashmovie”]

Get Adobe Flash player

[/kml_flashembed]

NYIP PhotoView Podcast Site

NYIP PhotoView podcast was my first WordPress blog to develop from scratch with NYIP. This site is the second version of the Photo View site, and so the experience was an all-encompassing transition from an old platform to a new platform.

For the design, we went for large thumbnails of the podcasts for links, all set over a semi-transparent panel over a colorful background. I really like the way this came out. This has also been a great place for me to develop our Audio Slideshow technology, which loads via the Shadowbox framework.

Audio Slideshow Player Alpha

The Audio Slideshow Player is a project I started developing for NYI in 2009. Our original concept was to clone something similar to the slideshow player on the NY Times website, but for offline purposes. The application itself is basically a custom mp3 player that also can show a slideshow of pictures, set in time with the audio.

To do: I would really like to add a seek() feature to here, and am currently experimenting with a build that uses the NetConnection class to do this. Also, I would like to develop a Flex or Air app that would generate the XML file for the time durations and image URLs – currently, this is a manual application.

[kml_flashembed publishmethod=”static” fversion=”8.0.0″ movie=”http://www.panyamedia.com/wp-content/uploads/audio-slideshow/filters_photoshop/AudioSlideshow.swf” width=”700″ height=”600″ targetclass=”flashmovie” fvars=”xml=http://www.panyamedia.com/wp-content/uploads/audio-slideshow/filters_photoshop/durations_test.xml”]

Get Adobe Flash player

[/kml_flashembed]

Lionforce

The Lionforce House Configuration App was a rewarding yet ambitious web application I helped my friend Jeff from Smolinski Interactive Design. Lionforce needed an interactive solution for their customers, and the end result was a house customization tool, where the user selects a house model and then the individual options per room.

My task was to develop the back-end of the site, which included creating a the user login and registration system, as well as the functionality for saving / loading houses.

Big Mapple

Big Mapple was a project I joined, which was part of the Big Apps competition. I came in a bit late in the game to help with chopping up the design and laying out the html / CSS code for the site. We didn’t win the competition (that’s a different story), but we definitely had one of the most original designs, which made it a fun project to hack to pieces.

CTI Clinical Trials & Consulting Services

CTI was a flash-based project I worked on with Smolinski Interactive Design. My task was to develop the navigation and page linking functionality on the site.

eThon

eThon was a tech demo I worked on for a company called Ionif. My job was to develop both an avatar editor for customizing the user’s runner, as well as eventually developing the game play for a version of Bejewled that had items and power-ups.

I was able complete the back end portion with a user login / registration system, as well as a way to save and load their custom avatars, when the project was abruptly cut short. Due to scheduling and financial conflicts, the project is currently shelved.